Website Knights Care
Accountable to: The Home Manager
Purpose of the role
- To carry out day to day maintenance on the fabric of the building, its services, and grounds in order to ensure that the Care Home is maintained in a safe and efficient functional order and at all times observing Health and safety regulations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Report and action any known defects to appliances, damaged furniture / equipment and any other potential hazards and liaise with the Home Manager.
- Ensure the maintenance of the Care Home’s exterior, including:
- Outbuildings i.e., Shed, Bin Coral etc. Are clean and tidy.
- Clear snow and grit drives and pathways and car parks
- Where applicable, cut grass around the building and tend to any flowerbeds, hanging baskets etc.
- Clean all signs / lighting outside the Care Home.
- Ensure that the Care Home is maintained in good decorative order.
- Build or erect any odd pieces of furniture or shelving etc.
- Test the fire alarm system and log results weekly. Check call points, fire exits, door retaining devices and emergency lighting as specified in Company procedures.
- Ensure all ventilation units and lights are kept clean. Replace any defective light bulbs / diffusers.
- Ensure all portable appliances are tested as per company policy.
- Test and record water temperatures and document with actions taken as per company policy.
- Ensure legionella testing procedures are carried out.
- Maintain a ‘Maintenance Book’ in which defects are recorded by staff members. Use this book to affect repairs/replacements daily.
- Assist / supervise with deliveries to the Care Home. Monitor delivered goods closely.
- Liaise with Home Manager or delegated staff member, regarding maintenance work to be carried out.
- Attend weekly Heads of Department meetings
- Participate in Staff and client meetings as required.
Training and Development
- Attend mandatory training days / courses, on or off site, as and when required.
- Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
- Attend Fire courses and risk assessment training.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that paints and varnishes are used and stored only in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure areas in which any painting / varnishing work is being done is well ventilated and safe for Service Users, Visitors and Staff members.
- Report immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Service User, Visitor, colleague or other.
- Understand and ensure the implementation of the Care Home’s Health and Safety policy and Emergency and Fire procedures, including the contingency plan.
- Promote safe working practice in the Care Home.
- Ensure all equipment used is clean and well maintained.
- Inform the Home Manager or person in charge of any visit to the Care Home by Maintenance Staff, Servicing engineers, workmen etc. Record the visit in appropriate file.
- Assist and cover in other Care Homes as and when appropriate.
- Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Care Home.
- Ensure knowledge and understanding of Abuse policy and Whistle-Blowing procedures,
- Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
- Notify the Home Manager, or the person in charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and on your return to work from all periods of absence.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
- There may be occasions when you will be called out of hours for advice or to perform tasks in an emergency. It is your responsibility to ensure that this emergency cover is in place and that may mean liaising with your Home Manager and other service contractors in the area.
- Where a ‘fault’ cannot be rectified, provide details of the fault to the Home Manager / person in charge or the Operations Director as soon as possible so that services are not disrupted for lengthy periods and appropriate instructions can be given regarding action to take.
- The above key result areas are a broad representation and not necessarily a comprehensive list. Additional responsibilities will be agreed from time to time as the needs of the Home dictate. Any major variation to the key tasks will be the subject of discussion and agreement between the post holder and the Management.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.